Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Not So Automatic...

I have always owned a 35mm film camera. I love taking pictures and believed "real" was better than digital. Then I began attending huge sb trade shows and lugging my camera and lenses got old....and heavy! So I went and bought a little Olympus pocket-size digital camera....just for work stuff. Pretty soon, as I would run out the door, I would grab the "work" camera as it was so easy to just throw in my purse. Then I met Roger. He had already made the switch to a nice digital camera. The eight rolls of unprinted 35mm film we found when he moved proved why he found digital a better solution! Slowly, I began to use his camera more and more...my digital had died an untimely death...and I was really loving the quality and the instant gratification of having our pictures in the computer. It made no sense to carry a 35mm and a digital, so we stated using his pretty much exclusively. On a vacation to CA, unfortunately, the camera was lost. While we could not recover the priceless photos we immediately ran to Costco and bought the updated version of the same camera....the Kodak EasyShare P850. It operated a little differently and we were struggling to get consistently good photos. Some were excellent and others were honestly awful! We talked about returning the camera. Maybe something was wrong with the auto feature. We procrastinated and finally realized the opportunity had passed us by. Alas, we were stuck with it. Then I began playing with the settings Roger had told me about previously. Taking the same photo in different settings. WOW! It was like magic. All I had to do was experiment a little. Now we love our little Kodak camera! We just had to realize automatic isn't exactly a one step, point and shoot, reality. If you want excellent photos you have to work a little....but it is sooooo worth it! I thought I'd share a few of my favorite photos...
















enjoy the fruits of your labor!
-dw

No comments: