Friday, June 8, 2007

Do you Repurpose?

Repurpose (re-pur'pes) v. To use or convert for use in another format.

This must be the buzz word of the year. I hear it everywhere lately!

Myself, I find it an odd word. I mean, not odd in the sense that it doesn't define itself...I think it does. Rather it is odd in how it came to be. Wasn't the term always re-use? Did everyone get frustrated trying to decide if there should or shouldn't be a hyphen in the word? Object to the double vowel thing? What?! Where did the word re-use go? It is like I woke up one day and someone had removed re-use from the dictionary and replaced it with repurpose! (Although my spell check still says it is a misspelled word!) Oh well...it is obviously out of my hands. I guess I'll just have to repurpose the word "re-use" and use it in other formats. But speaking of re-using or repurposing....

There is a chapter in my book, Creative Spaces for Papercrafters, highlighting great household items one can "repurpose" into craft organizers. It is one of my favorite chapters. I mean, perfect storage solutions for next-to-nothing cost! Who doesn't love that?!
Because of this chapter, I have spent a lot of time perusing garage sales and thrift stores lately in search of things to repurpose! I only have so many things around my house that need to find a new reason for being, so I had to enlist the help of other purgers! And I will say, the people purging these items could be sorry they didn't see the true potential of these gems!! I have made some fabulous discoveries! I don't want to give away too much from the book but I thought I'd give you a little early peek at a few things you can salvage from your (or your neighbors) next garage sale!

If you have a great repurposing example being used in your craft room, please submit it a photo and brief description to me at: dwshainpublishing@yahoo.com and maybe it will be published too!
Have YOU repurposed lately?!

While I've been out searching for the perfect storage containers and organizers other deals have surfaced as well! I scored a brand new $50 bag from Coldwater Creek for $4.99 and a brand new set of Target dishes for Melissa (reg $40) for $14.99!!! How could I say no? You just can't beat that!!!
I've had so much fun, I now refer to Thursdays as Thrifty Thursdays...my day to go out and treasure hunt, I mean, research! This book work can be a grind. Shop, shop, shop!
You know what they say, One man's trash is another man's treasure!
enjoy your own little treasure hunt!
-dw

1 comment:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Hey Deanna,

What fun to hear that you liked my studio organization! I'd be thrilled to have to use any of it in your book!
You can email me at vickichrisman@hotmail.com