Thursday, July 8, 2010

Where's the time gone...

"Life was always a matter of waiting for the right moment to act." ~Paulo Coelho

I put writing in my blog on hiatus when my ex-husband decided to follow my posts, trying to find something to use against me in our divorce proceedings. While writing relaxes me and makes me happy, I decided I wasn't going to give him an open door back into my life.

Now, however, the divorce is over, the dust has settled, and I can once again speak freely. If he chooses to stalk my life through my blog, it will merely prove he is the one with deep, dysfunctional issues. For we all know he doesn't scrapbook, doesn't follow the latest decorating trends, doesn't worry about saving money, or have MS. So there is really nothing here for him. With that said....it's time for me to return to talking and sharing about all those things...as they do all fill my life and make me who I am.

In regards to scrapbooking:
After having the majority of my much-loved studio packed away in boxes for nearly a year and a half, I have been unpacking, re-decorating, and trying to decide how best to use the space I now have. I am fortunate enough to still have a dedicated room to play and create in, however, the size and layout are different enough that it is creating some obstacles. Creative thinking is always the answer and I have found some new options and benefits that I will share in later posts.

In regards to my move:
I am getting the retreat house ready to go on the market on spare weekends and am looking forward to some fun time there soon with out-of-town family before I completely close that chapter of my life. I found a great rental house that I love with plenty of backyard for the dog and entertaining. I bought some plants and flowers yesterday and am excited to bring to life a private, backyard beach area complete with fire pit and sand to dig my toes into! Life here is good! I am surrounded by water and am relishing in the tranquility of less traffic, incredible views, and enough shopping and entertainment options to keep me satisfied. While there is no PF Changs or Cinebarre here, I am only a short trip back when I feel the need. I am blessed with incredible friends and family that helped tremendously with the moving process and I am so thankful for each and every one of them!

In regards to life with MS:
I have good days and not-as-good of days, but with the divorce finally over I can move away from the constant stress in caused and look ahead to more peaceful days. Since heat, as well as stress, are two conditions I must avoid, I am fortunate to have an office with air conditioning during this sudden blast of summer in Seattle. We went from record lows to record highs in a matter of a week.
I was excited to participate in Seattle's Walk MS fundraiser earlier this year and, along with a fabulous crew of friends and family, raised over $1,000 for the MS Foundation! It was a truly incredible day for me. "I walk for...........my future."

In regards to the divorce:
They say, "What does not kill us makes us stronger." If only I could count the times I've had to tell myself that over the past year and a half! But it is true. After the endless lies (even under oath) and deception, why should it surprise me at all that the ex still won't follow court orders?! I thankfully believe in Karma and am comforted knowing his will come back around.
My advise to anyone whose marriage is ending....whatever you do, DON'T move out of the house! Apparently possession really it nine-tenths of the law. Items were awarded to him that I owned prior to even KNOWING him! Truly exasperating, but when it all comes down to it...stuff is just stuff. The things that matter most in life aren't the things, they're the people who love you. The ones whose shoulders were strong for you, the ones whose ears listened endlessly, and helped cheer you on when you thought you couldn't take it another day. The ones who stood by you, knowing your story was true, your heart was broken, and your world needed help to keep spinning. The ones that never turned away in the darkest moments, but brought light back into your world with their encouragement and laughter. The ones I am lucky enough to call my friends and my family. The many, many people I love so dearly.
While I walk away with so much less than I came with, I walk away with all that is most valued....My honor. I can live my life with my head held high, knowing when push came to shove, my moral compass never faltered. I am the person my family raised me to be. Win or lose, nobody anywhere can take that away from me.

"How you respond to the challenge in the second half will determine what you become after the game, whether you are a winner or a loser." ~Lou Holtz

So here's to looking ahead to the second half.......and coming out a winner!

Enjoy the view ahead,
-d.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

My Dear Friend,
I am wiping my tears. You are such an inspiration. I know thatis an over used phrase...but it's so true. I bask in your light and I bow to your strength. I am honored to be your friend.
I love you,
Nancy