Tuesday, October 30, 2007

When wishes come true...

There are only a few soups that I just crave. Soups so good they just make me feel good inside; total comfort foods.
Thai Thom Ka Chicken, Chicken Noodle, homemade Beef Barley and Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana! Mmmmmmm.....

The other night we are on our way home from working at the craft house and I was craving OG's awesome Zuppa Toscana (sausage and potato) soup, but we were sooo tired we just didn't feel like stopping. I have been wishing I could find the recipe and just make it at home for nights like this. But I always forget to look on-line to see if it is out there. Well, today my wish was granted! Shannon shared a recipe she found on another blog (exactly why I think blogging is sooooo great!!!) and I quickly copied it here to share with any of you who may also have been craving it at home on a blustery fall evening...
Zuppa Toscana Soup

1 lb spicy Italian sausage (ground)
2 russet potatoes, sliced in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/8 inch slices
1/2 c. bacon bits (I like the Hormel Real Bacon bits, in the 3 oz. jar - just put the whole jar in)
1 onion, chopped
2 cans chicken broth
1 quart water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups kale, chopped

Combine the chicken broth, water, garlic, potatoes, and onions in a large pot. Cook over Medium heat until the potatoes are done. Meanwhile, brown the sausage. Drain, place on a plate with paper towels to continue draining, and set aside. When the potatoes are done, add the sausage and bacon bits, salt and pepper to taste, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to Low. Add the cream and chopped kale. Heat through and serve.

****While looking on-line for a picture of this incredible soup I found a site that claims to have the true, actual Olive Garden recipe. I'll test them both and see which we think is better and report back! I think the first one I posted will be the easier to make, so we'll have to see if there is much difference in flavor.

Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana
Shared by someone who used to work at the Olive Garden for three years (Zuppa Toscana was one of her favorites, she went right to the source and copied the recipe from their cookbook). As the recipe makes gallons of soup, I divided into quarters and tried it, it is really yummy!
Makes: 6-8 servings

1 lb ground Italian sausage
1½ tsp crushed red peppers
1 large diced white onion
4 Tbsp bacon pieces
2 tsp garlic puree
10 cups water
5 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
¼ of a bunch of kale
Sautee Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
In the same pan, sautee bacon, onions and garlic for approxiamtly 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
Mix together the chicken bouillon and water, then add it to the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boiling.
Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
Add heavy cream and cook until thoughouly heated.
Stir in the sausage.
Add kale just before serving.

Sometimes wishes really do come true! From zero recipes to two in twenty minutes!!! Sweeeeet! Guess what we are having for dinner this weekend?!

enjoy the comfort this soup brings you...
-dw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you like them.... hey, let me know which one I should make. I have not made either yet.... are you going to the expo? I am Friday and Saturday... let me know if you want to get together... how about lasting memories on Thursday night to see Ali? Give me a call.