Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Eat This...at Panda Express

I love the Eat This, Not That books by David Zinczenko (Editor of Men's Health Magazine). I appreciate the help it gives me in knowing the best...and worst...menu items to order when eating out. Today I checked out my favorite shopping mall eatery, Panda Express.
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my choices here are usually pretty good. However, I was very dissapointed to learn that my side of steamed rice is a very high calorie choice. The side dish suggested is mixed veggies (90 calories), but with both main dishes already containing veggies, I will most likely pass.

One of my favorite dishes is listed as a calorie nightmare, but it certainly doesn't come as a shock. Orange Chicken, with all it's breading and deep frying, came in at a scale sinking 500 calories. (Note: It is the only item on their menu containing Trans Fat.)

My other two favorites, however, scored very well; Broccoli Beef and Mushroom Chicken together with mixed veggies total only 350 calories.

As for my usual side of steamed rice? At 380 calories alone, it is NOT a good option. I'll add on a bowl of Egg Flower soup instead (only 88 calories) and make it an even lower calorie meal overall!

Knowledge is Power.

enjoy the food even more knowing it's a good choice for you.

-d.

No comments: