Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What's New in Scrapbooking....Part 1

As I've mentioned before, I am not a fan of the sugary-cute and whimsical that is so popular in the papercrafting world right now. That's not to say I never do layouts with bright colors or a touch of whimsy, it is just not my go-to style of choice. I am usually more drawn to the romantic and shabby-chic looks. I can't get enough of muted, distressed prints filled with swirls, crowns, and a hint of edginess. And lets not forget my long-time obsession with all that is damask!

So, with that in mind....I bring you *MY* top picks from the 2010 Winter CHA (Craft & Hobby Association) Show held last month. I am happy to report that I managed to find enough top picks to put a major dent in any scrapbooker's budget!

I'll begin with one of my all-time favorites.....7gypsies! They never disappoint me. I am bursting with excitement over their newest display offering: Letterblock Printer's Trays!!!!! In brown and yes, surely just for me, black too! I cannot wait to get my hands on this baby!
Quite some time ago after seeing Ali Edwards' wonderful display piece she created using an antique tray (right), I decided I just had to make one. However, first I had to find a tray; not such an easy (or affordable) acquisition in my area. But now, thanks to 7gypsies, my search is over!
They also released a great ephemera line called Ancienne (below), a paper line I loved, titled Avignon, and much, much more.

Since I started this review with one of my favorite companies, I'll follow it up with another favorite, Tim Holtz.
This year he has partnered with Sizzix to produce Alterations, "Tim's take on die cuts" and embossing. Coming in April, Texture Fades: texture plates in which the design fades out in places to create a more altered look. These plates will be deep enough to add texture to Tim's Grungeboard as many other things! Also an entire line of dies designed by Tim. Everything from file tabs for your mini albums to creative, album-cover edges! I love how this man's brain works! And last but not least, a new Alterations machine by Sizzix...coming in July. Not to mention additions to his Idea-ology line and incredible new stamp designs for Stamper's Anonymous.
These lines alone can cripple a crafting budget they are are so wonderful!

And now for a line a bit more on the romantic side....Shabby Green Door released a collection called On the Wings of a Dream. Stamps, papers and embellishments all sure to supply hours of inspiration. While I hadn't heard of this coming before, I became a quick fan!
My last pick for this posting (more picks tomorrow in Part 2) is a company that I grow to love more and more each year. They have taken the chipboard and mini-album markets by storm and, as always, their newest additions make me want to drop everything and create!
Maya Road has added some adorable chipboard theme sets: sewing, baking and whimsical banners (see, I told you I like some occasional whimsy!) along with their usual, incredibly wonderful chipboard mini-albums in shapes we all love...my favorites: the birdcage, baby onsie, and dress form! They have also released an awesome line of baubles to trim out our favorite altered projects as well as the most innovative product I've seen from this year's show so far...
Liquid Resist! Many of us have used templates and masks as a means to create designs with glimmer sprays, but this is the first I've seen a product that you "draw" on and simply peel off!

enjoy the bounty of new products heading our way!
-d.

No comments: