Tuesday, March 29, 2011

All Things....Big and Small

Sometimes life throws out a curve ball. Something happens that makes us re-evaluate everything. Things that once seemed important, suddenly lose their priority in the daily routine. Things are just different.

The day after Valentine's Day was that kind of day. After spending two great days celebrating love and the little things in life, my family was dealt a BIG thing. We received the phone call no one ever wants to get. The one saying one of your family members is suddenly and unexpectedly....gone. Forever. Just like that. No time to say goodbye; no time to remember to do or say the things you were thinking. Just gone.

Suddenly the things I write about here seemed trivial and unimportant. I couldn't bring my fingers to the keyboard without thinking there just isn't anything I can say that is significant enough in this moment. So I took a hiatus. I needed time to let my heart grieve and for my head to try and make sense of what was happening. And now a month and a half later, my fingers return to the keyboard and I pay homage to the little things.

My cousin was an avid reader; a lover and collector of books. She had great passionate for what she believed in. She was a strong advocate for her children. She dared to travel her own path in life; to be her own person. She loved to roller skate in the living room when she was little. She gave a smile to you every time you saw her. These little things made up who she was and how she will be remembered.

And so, in her honor, I will return to writing about the little things that make up my world and who I am. Living life doing the things I want to be remembered for. Organizing, writing, scrapbooking, and decorating might seem trivial to others.....but these truly are the little things that make up who I am. And I owe it to the girl who wouldn't let others dictate how she should live her life, to live mine doing what makes me feel fulfilled.

Rest in peace, Carole. I hope heaven has a really big library, an endless-supply of homemade cinnamon rolls, and maybe even...a place to roller skate!

enjoy the little things and the people you love everyday.

-dw.

1 comment:

Nick, Megan, Chelsea and Tenlee said...

So, so sorry to hear of your loss, Deanna. I'm thinking of you and sending big hugs your way ~