Friday, February 16, 2007

Don't Miss a Moment...

I saw this quote posted on Ali's blog this morning and I was so incredibly moved that I had to share it. It is by Anna Quindlen. "...but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three on them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
WOW! That is so true. So let's all work a little bit harder this weekend to live in the moment; to be true to our hearts, and follow it wherever it leads us. For however long it takes...put down the shopping list, the laundry basket and the stack of bills beckoning us, and simply take life in. Listen for the little giggles often drowned out by the sounds of life bustling by. Look for the opportunities that we often miss to just connect with each other. Be there. In the moment, not missing a thing. And when we close our eyes at the end of the weekend, let our hearts be overfilled with sweet memories of all the moments we were able to absorb. For we never know when we will be out of moments.
It reminds me of another saying I've always loved. "If you knew your life was ending, who would you call and what would you say? ...and why are you waiting?" It reminds us not to take our lives for granted and to show appreciation and love each and every day. Roger's dad called us last weekend during dinner, "...just to say I love you guys." And this morning he is in the hospital in ICU. Moments come and go each day, it is up to us to stop long enough to actually live in them. So who will you call and what will you say...?
Enjoy the doing!
-dw

No comments: