Monday, February 19, 2007

View from the Top of the World...

We returned yesterday from our weekend in the mountains snowmobiling. It has been an annual tradition to go snowmobiling on this holiday weekend for as long back as I can remember, but with changes in my life the tradition had, for me, faded away. But as with everything in life, things have a way of coming full circle. This year, I rejoined the tradition and spent a couple fun-filled days in the snow-covered mountains, taking in spectacular views that made me feel as if we were on the top of the world. And looking through my daughter's eyes...I was on top of the world. She was happy. We were given a chance set her world right and we all stepped up to the plate. You see, on this trip, my new husband joined in for the first time. Yes, my previous husband was there as well. We all snowmobiled together, sat by the fire together, talked and laughed together. It was incredible. Incredible even though society seems to whisper that this is not okay. That it is not normal. But, society means nothing to me...my children mean everything. So, we all decided there was no reason we could not all spend a weekend in the same place. And while my daughters jumped from Dad's motorhome to Mom's (they seemed to mostly show up for food! LOL!), we all had the chance to move forward. To realize that the end of a family unit in one way, is not necessarily the end of it in all ways. So to those out there right now, experiencing divorce and all the grief that accompanies it...hold tight. The ride can be scary and horrifying, but when it stops, and it will, the next ride you take may lead you to a place no one thought was possible. And when you see the look on your child's face...every difficult moment leading up to it will disappear. And you too will see the view from the top of the world...
Enjoy the rewards of growth.
-dw

No comments: