Friday, June 15, 2007

The Countdown is on...

Graduation is just two days away; the party I'm hosting is tomorrow and I am attending another graduation this evening with my daughter at her previous school...and what am I doing today in preparation?!
Not much of anything!!
Pacing, stalling, and shuffling, with a few heavy sighs thrown in for good measure! I cannot seem to get engaged this morning.
I overdid it a bit yesterday and now I'm paying the price for it. I am on the home stretch for getting the Studio completely organized, as well as 2 bedrooms (of children who have already flown the coop), the laundry room and the hall/game closet!
Why did I suddenly don the Super Organizer cape and fly into action, you ask? Because it was WAY overdue! When we moved into this house a year ago, we merged two complete households...we had a LOT of stuff! There was so much to move that I didn't have the desire to look through another box of anything by the time we got the all basics unpacked. I have puttered here and there purging out doubles, tossing the obsolete and trying to make more space, but there was only so much time and motivation! Now, however, with people arriving for the party (and soon after for out-of-state visits), I figured NOW is the time!!
So I've been purging, sorting, moving, and re-organizing everything I can get my hands on. And now my hands (as well as my feet, back and arms) are sore! They are shutting down; protesting their overuse and abuse. (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I've been weeding outside too. Ugh.)
This modern day June Cleaver needs a vacation! Or maybe just Mrs. Cleaver's REAL schedule: working to be the perfect mom and wife for only 30 minutes a day! LOL!
Oh well, so we can't all be June Cleaver, or Carol Brady. (Darn it! Alice sure would come in handy right about now!!!). We do the best we can, and in the end nobody really cares that the floors weren't perfectly mopped or the pantry wasn't quite up to par...it's really all about celebrating Melissa and her accomplishments. And if I'm lucky, and hang the decorations just right, maybe the guests won't notice that I never found the window washer's phone number! ;)







enjoy the weekend!
-dw
Update: Here are a couple pics of Melissa with her graduating friends at her previous high school.

2 comments:

Jolene George said...

I hear you about over doing it, but at the same time it must be satisfying to get so much done even though your body is paying the price. I haven't unpacked a box in 2 months. I got out the basics and haven't had the desire or the will to continue. My husband just asked me last night when I planned to finish uppacking our closet. I think I can handle that, but if he askes about the boxes in the garage...forget about it! LOL!
I hope you enjoy the celebration of this milestone in your daughters life. I'm sure your party will be wonderful!

Colleen Schaan said...

Oh wow...a year after moving and you are still organizing...phew...that means I still have 4 or 5 months to get my boxes unpacked and stashed away! (I thought I was the only one with "stuff" left after a move.)